Workshop length: 3 hours
Group size: 8 – 12
This unique workshop helps engineers, scientists and other technically-minded people to put themselves in the shoes of their audience and deliver presentations that are engaging, relevant and memorable.
“Make it compulsory – those that think they don’t need it probably do!” (Participant, 2012)
About the workshop
Technical people often choose engineering degrees or IT jobs – not drama school, public relations or auctioneering – because they prefer to do the work rather than talk about it. But when it’s time to tell the world about what you do, finding the right language and delivery style means more people will hear your message, remember it, and understand how you can help them.
Learn to keep your audience engaged so they remember you, and what you need them to know.
- Skills for being a present, aware speaker.
- Body awareness and how you move on stage.
- The importance of taking time to connect with your audience and co-presenters.
- How to be engaging, but still you.
- Introductions that make the audience sit up and listen.
- Simple, effective techniques to wake your audience up (important for the after-lunch slot!).
- Experiment with creative presentation styles, such as props and storytelling.
- That it’s OK to not know everything – and this can actually help you give a more enjoyable presentation.
- How to put yourself in your audience’s shoes so you can tell them just what they need to know, in language that makes sense to them.
Engaging, meaningful presentations is an interactive, half-day workshop that draws on theatre techniques, and Rachael’s speaker coaching background to help you better understand your audience and future clients. Being more aware of yourself and your listeners means more effective communication – and the potential for creative collaborations and sustainable business relationships.
The workshop closes with Participants applying what they have learned to a short presentation relevant to their work. They present this in small groups for feedback.
Best for: engineers, scientists and technically trained people looking to enhance their presentation skills
Read how engineers and scientists at the Department of Water enjoy this course ever year here. To book this workshop at your organisation email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 450 393 336.